Actual state of FreeNAS 0.7
The migration to FreeBSD 7.0 was more easy that planned.
I’ve still one problem to solve with the circular log rotating patch, but it’s works…
Now I’m working on migrating the internal configuration of disk/geom volume: I will use the idea of Volker for storing real disk and geom drive.
Here is the actual state:
- Migrate to FreeBSD 7.0: 80% done (need to fix the clog problem and adapt iSCSI initiator that is now include in FreeBSD)
- Migrate the internal disk/geom management and config file: 40% done (lot’s of internals function to change)
- Review all the disk/mount point management WebGUI: 0%
- Adding gjournal, ZFS and gvistor: 0%
Here is an idea about the new approach of manasge disk/geom class :
- Disk: This mandatory step will permit to add a physical disk (ATA, SCSI and HW RAID) and to choose use it directly (by formatting or keeping existing data) or to put it in a Â«available poolÂ». If the user choose to use it directly, the disk will be formatted and mounted (the mount part will be transparent to the user: no more Â«mountÂ» page)
- Virtual disk (or other name… need to define): This optionnal step will permit to create graid5, geli,gstripe, ZFS, etc…. using the disks in the Â«available poolÂ», and propose to use this new virtual disk directly or to re-put the virtual disk to the Â«available poolÂ» (for creating encrypted graid5 volume, or RAID 1+0, or any combinaison you want).
- Share: This mandatory step will permit to create a share on a selected disk and to set user/group permission and quotas on it (this step will transparently create a directory on choosen disk).