FreeNAS 8.3.0-BETA2 is now available
8.3.0-BETA2 is now available for download and testing. Some of the changes for this upcoming release include:
- ZFSv28 adds deduplication, RAIDZ3, improved snapshot support, and a removable log device.
- Based on FreeBSD 8.3 which updated and added some new drivers as described in the FreeBSD 8.3 Release Notes.
- Reporting graphs now provide buttons for navigating to different points in time.
- Automatic redirect from http:// to https:// when accessing the administrative GUI when SSL is enabled.
- Add support for HighPoint 27xx cards.
- Add the CARP module to the build. The CARP module is not loaded by default and high availability must be configured manually from the command line. More information about CARP can be found in the OpenBSD FAQ.
- Add a begin and end time for Replication Tasks.
- Add the ability to specify the SSL certificate and private key to be used for encrypting FTP connections.
- Add a memory device as an option when performing a GUI upgrade.
- In Active Directory configuration, add checkboxes for: Use default domain, UNIX extensions, and Verbose logging.
- Add additional SNMP MIBs.
- Add the ability to update the Plugins Jail without deleting installed plugins.
- Disable Nagle’s algorithm in order to provide better LAN network performance at the expense of WAN performance.
- Add AES-NI hardware support for the Intel Core i5/i7 processors that support this encryption set. This support speeds up AES encryption and decryption.
- A host name database field has been added to Global Configuration, allowing entries to be added to /etc/hosts.
A complete list of changes is available in the Release Notes on the download page.
The documentation on the wiki is mostly up-to-date for 8.3.0 and will improve over the next few days.
Beta testers should report any bugs so that they can be fixed in time for release.